VP of Engineering
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Who We Are:
DarwinAI is a cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence startup based in Waterloo, Ontario. Our technology, stemming from years of scholarship by our academic team from University of Waterloo, uses ‘AI to build AI’ in order to: 1.) dramatically reduce the size of deep learning neural networks while maintaining functional accuracy and reducing inference time; 2.) facilitate ‘explainable’ deep learning: the ability to understand why a network makes the decisions it does.
A succinct explanation of our technology and go-to-market strategy can be found here during our recent appearance at the NVidia Inception awards.
What We Are Building:
We recently secured 3M (USD) in funding from Bay Area and Canadian investors to commercialize our technology. This includes productizing our IP around optimization and explainability in a robust and compelling manner. Specifically, to develop a suite of powerful deep learning tools that enable and accelerate AI for numerous operational scenarios.
This is where you come you in…
Who We Are Looking For:
Our technical team, which contains an impressive blend of academic and enterprise talent, requires, in the parlance of the recent Steve Jobs movie, a ‘conductor’ to play the orchestra.
You, the VP of Engineering, will oversee, manage and drive all facets of software development across the company. Reporting to our CEO, you’ll provide strategic technical leadership, set our engineering direction, and help to define our technical roadmap.
What You Will Be Doing:
● Spearhead the development of our platform with conviction and skill
● Establish our software development practices with patience and competence
● Participate in key decisions with our Executive Team regarding all strategic aspects of our product roadmap, technical personnel, execution and delivery.
● Transform our team (your team) into a fine-tuned development machine by hiring, managing, mentoring and growing team leaders
● Work with our senior architects to drive standards that enable next generation technology capabilities along with long-term scalability
● Liaison with our academic researchers to ensure our latest theoretical innovations are integrated into our product offerings
● Instill a culture of excellence by cultivating high employee engagement, performance and commitment to the product through a motivational & visionary approach
Our ideal candidate possesses:
● A Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field; Masters or PhD an asset
● 7-10 years of experience leading technical teams across multiple products and technologies – ideally with a focus on software development
● Proven leadership experience managing development teams
● Proven experience in building high-performance, cross-functional teams and scalable engineering best practices
● Experience working within a startup environment (ideally)
● Some experience with deep learning, including Caffe2, TensorFlow and/or PyTorch
● Not so removed from code as to not know the difference between *p and &p.
In addition to working with state-of-the-art technology in a burgeoning field, we offer competitive compensation along with equity options, as we want committed employees with a vested interest in the company.
Beyond a full benefits package including extended health care, dental, vision and life insurance, we offer a personal conference budget that you are free to use for professional development activities.
Thank you to all who apply; we’ll only contacting applicants moving on to the next stage of the process. If you don’t hear from us, please check back for any future opportunities!
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply!